Share this Post
What Are My Odds? One In Seven Billion
Let’s open up today with a Pop Quiz! There’s no pass or fail here, so don’t overthink this. Just go with straight gut level honesty. Ready? Here we go.
Answer True or False to the following statements:
- I consider myself an incredibly creative person (T / F)
- I stand out in a crowd (for good reasons) (T / F)
- My best opportunities are still in front of me (T / F)
- I rarely compare myself to other people (T / F)
- I can see God using me in an amazing way (T / F)
I said there’s no pass fail. I meant it. But here’s why false is not your best answer.
- Have you ever figured out a way to get out of a commitment? See, you’re creative!
- 2% of people “stand out” in a crowd. The same 2% would be average in another crowd. Translation? Seeking that standard is an exercise in futility.
- Unless you’re clairvoyent you have no idea what’s in front of you. Don’t assume.
- Comparing yourself to others is a lose/lose propostion. If you compare up, you’ll be discouraged. If you compare down you’ll be prideful. Other peeps make a bad standard.
- If you want to limit the power and creativity of God in your life, no human can help you.
We could go on an on but suffice to say this. Many of these statements and dozens more like them have their root in one basic lie. And as simple and harmless as it may sound at first, it’s succeeded in minimizing millions of lives. Don’t let it minimize yours.
THE LIE: “I’m nothing special”
The earth had 7.4 billion people when I started writing this blog and another 5K will be born before I’m done. It’s easy to feel average in a sea of people. I get it. But if you take the position you’re nothing special, how can anyone else be? You might be envious or jealous of others. You may even covet what they have. But what others have, how they look, or where they are in life has absolutely nothing to do with how special you are. In fact, if you’re really that hung up on how “average” you are, you don’t need a makeover, you need a purpose!
“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”
God chooses words that count. Here are three reasons you should never feel average again.
God built you.
Workmanship is the same word as masterpiece. You are a masterpiece. Not a Rembrandt, Picasso, or a Monet. But a handcrafted masterpiece of God. How can that be average?
You have purpose.
You weren’t created to simply exist. There is something on earth (your good works) that you and only you were created to do. And that something will last into eternity. Be involved in that instead of trying to do what everyone else is doing. That’s your “it.” That’s something special.
The hard part is done.
Most of us feel average because we find ourselves working like crazy only to wind up on a scale of average at best. Average life style, income, looks, accomplishments, etc. Nothing special right? All this work for what? Well that’s exactly why we buy the lie, I’m nothing special. We never look or feel special on the ‘average’ charts.
But a careful look at that verse will tell you two things. God has “prepared” a work for you. He went before you and laid it out, prepared the ground, set things in place so that you could come along and “walk in” on what He’s done.” That’s a work you can work with!
You’re one is 7 Billion! I think your odds are awesome!
In it with you,